American Red Cross Instructor Trainer Tiffany Harmon has taught advanced lifesaving courses in Santa Cruz for over a decade.
Class sizes are limited. Typically, Water Safety Instructor (WSI) classes run in Spring & Fall: Job opportunities may await WSI's with Seahorse Swim School, Inc.
AMERICAN RED CROSS LIFEGUARDING COURSE (rev 2017):
COST: $315 ($250 online, $65 to Tiffany Harmon after passing PreTest)
(Dawna Ashton-- Instructor)
Location: Seascape Sports Club 1505 Seascape Blvd. Aptos, CA. 95003
1. Must be 15 years old on or before the final scheduled session of
(Bring legal proof of age to Pre Course w. $120 check for materials)
2. Swim 300 yards continually demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breastroke or a combination of both but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
3. Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under their armpits.
4. Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds (Swim goggles
are not allowed):
Start in the water, swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of the water. Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7-10 feet to retrieve a 10 lb. object. Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath. Candidates should not swim the distance under water. Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
5. To pass this course successfully: 100% attendance & participation is mandatory. Complete & pass written tests (with at least 80%) & demonstrate competency in all water rescues.
6. At the completion of this course, participants will receive Red Cross Certificates in Lifeguard/First Aid & CPR for the Professional Rescuer/AED (2 year cert).NEXT Class offered: April 2017 PreTest SUN 4/2 9-10am , Course dates: Sun 4/2 10am-4pm, Mon 4/3 10am-4pm, Tues 4/4 9am - 3:30pm, Wed 4/5 9am-5pm, Thurs 4/6 9am-3:30pm
Prerequisites for WSI:
Be at least 16 years of age on or before the final scheduled
lesson of the course.
Be able to swim the following strokes consistent with the Learn to Swim Level 4 stroke performance charts:
Front crawl 25 yards
Back Crawl 25 yards
Breastroke 25 yards
Elementary Backstroke 25 yards
Sidestroke 25 yards
Butterfly 15 yards
Be able to maintain position on back for 1 minute in deep
water (sculling or floating).
Be able to tread water for 1 minute.